Wednesday, April 29, 2009

24 Weeks



I know I said it before, but I just can't get over how fast the weeks are going now!! There's no turning back . . . haha. Liam is growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (like an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop (wonder if he liked that delicious curry at the Thai House last night!? He better learn to like Asian food!). His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

We had our monthly doctors appointment yesterday(have I mentioned that Brian hasn't missed one of these and always asks a few questions - good daddy!). I was supposed to have a massage first but they cancelled it. I was disappointed but rescheduled. Everything "looks great!" I even got praised for my weight. I told her that my hands and wrist bother me in the night and that I usually wake up with numbness in both. I also told her how my feet hurt so kill me at the end of a busy weekend or long work day. She said "yep, that's pregnancy!" And since my blood pressure is perfect there is no cause for alarm. I got the script to do the glucose test so I will try and get that taken care of next week. The instructions are to not eat anything "sugary" for breakfast (I'll have to skip the blueberry muffin frosted mini wheats - have you had that? Yum-o!). You go to the lab and drink a substance and then sit in the waiting room for an hour before they check you. That will be fun! If your results come back at all questionable then you have to go for a three hour test. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

We signed up for birthing classes at Winter Park Hospital (where we are delivering). Those start on June 11 and are every Thursday from 6:30 - 9:00 p.m. for five weeks. 9:00 p.m.!? Oh man, I will be so tired! Ha. June 11th is my Mom's birthday, but she is also having some surgery that day. It's a preventative surgery that hopefully will save her from getting cancer, but still is scary. I know she doesn't want to make a big deal about it, but I am still going to post about her recovery . . . we hope it's speedy! Liam will need his Grammy strong!

We got the crib this week! We moved it into the garage in the box, so I can't tell you if I love it or not. We have some other things to do in the room before we put it together and get it in there. Also got the bedding (love it!) and the glider "has shipped." Have I mentioned on here before that the room is already painted a yummy light blue (a color I actually used in my apartment and wasn't ready to part with so did a room in the house that color too) and will be staying that way! No painting - yay!!

What else . . . I feel like we have been SO busy!! We purchased life insurance policies yesterday! Does that officially make us grown up or what!? Grown up in some ways, but still giggled when giving urine samples to the nurse that came to the house. Oh well! That reminds me when I mentioned to Brian that there was a lactation class that went along with the birthing classes and the husbands are encouraged to attend he proclaimed "BOOBIES!" So there you go . . .

2 comments:

  1. Grammy is going to do everything possible to recover quickly and completely before Liam comes! That is why the birthday / surgery day. Wow, I thought this time would drag and it is speeding by. You 2 will be the BEST parents!

    ReplyDelete